Friday, April 19, 2013

EFT - Osteoarthritis Knee Pain Uncovers Unresolved Grief


Stella (not her real name) came to see me in September 2008 because she had osteoarthritis in her right knee, swelling due to a Baker's cyst (a benign swelling found behind the knee joint); and she had quite a bit of pain. Her family doctor told her all that the only thing that could be done was to take analgesics for the pain, and ice on the knee. She could also have a steroid shot in the knee.

Stella was taking the analgesics, and her stomach was feeling terrible. She wanted to know if she could get relief with EFT. I told her we could work on the emotional components of her pain and arthritis and that it might or might not be a one minute miracle. We've been having sessions once a week since mid September 2008 (we're in mid-November), her pain was at a 9 and her leg was quite swollen from the knee down to her ankle when we started. Some of the phrases we have tapped on include:

Even if I have this burning pain in my right knee
Even if I was dismayed to hear I had develop osteoarthritis
Even if I have osteoarthritis
Even if the doctor smiled as she gave me the diagnosis
Even if the doctor told me this will never be cured
Even if the doctor doesn't want to be bothered by my symptoms
Even if my knee is sore when I wake up in the morning
Even if I can't sit crossed legged anymore

We were not getting much relief, when she mentioned that when she called her mother, to share what the doctor had said, her mother was ecstatic!

Even if my mother was happy that I developed osteoarthritis
Even if I can hear the glee in her voice
Even if I'm scared I'm going to end up as crippled by arthritis as she is
Even if I swore I wouldn't be like her, and now I have her disease

We also tapped on her "worst" mother memory. At the end of the session, Stella's pain had gone down to a 6, and her leg was still swollen.

By now, I was intrigued on why we were making so little progress. The next session, I invited Stella to close her eyes and imagine she was going inside her knee. She drank an "invisible shrinking potion" (she's a Harry Potter fan) and went into the knee accompanied by Professor Dumbledore as backup support. She described the inside of her knee as a cavern that was very red, with a pipe that was tied up in a knot and leaking some liquid goo that was just lying there.

Even if the cavern looks very red.
Even if the pipe is tied up in a knot
Even if the pipe is dripping liquid goo
Even if this liquid goo is just lying there

Then I asked what emotion she felt as she looked around. She said she felt she was choking, and there was sadness.

We tapped for the choking and the sadness, and what came up was a memory of her dad saying goodbye to her and telling her that he and her mom were getting a divorce, and she had never cried and kept it all in. Stella had been 7 at the time, she didn't have anyone to talk to and felt she had to be brave.

We tapped on:
Even if Daddy is saying goodbye, I was such a good girl.
Even if I was so sad, and confused and lonely
Even if I didn't want Daddy to leave
Even if Daddy looks so sad
He's holding his hat in his hands
Even if I was brave, I now choose to express my sadness.
Even if I was choked up, I can now express how I feel

Stella was connecting for the first time to all the feelings she had buried about the experience, and expressing them as we did round after round.

Even if I am so incredibly sad
Even if I feel so hurt
Even if I feel so lonely
Even if I feel that I did something to cause this

After this session, the pain went down to 0, and the swelling was reduced by 80%. Also, she said that the inside of her knee now looked pink and shiny. There was a lot less goo on the floor, and the pipe looked straight and normal.

We have continued working on that event, and included her relationship with her mother during her parents divorce. Stella can now go up and down the stairs without pain, and she can sit cross legged for short periods. She still has some swelling on her knee; the Baker's cyst has not completely disappeared, there has been a huge improvement and we're still tapping!

As of January, 2009, her swelling and pain have completely disappeared. She can kneel once more and sit cross-legged! She has been tapping every day and doing sessions once a week!

1 comment:

  1. I want to share that my father has osteoarthritis of both knees. Since last three months he is taking the health supplements given below.

    Although we have not taken his knee x-ray recently, but the results have been encouraging. He now has considerably less knee pain and walks normally.

    The supplements are:
    Hydrolyzed Collagen 2000 milligrams
    Glucosamine Sulfate 1500 milligrams
    Chondroitin Sulfate 1200 milligrams
    Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) 1200 to 2000 milligrams
    Hyaluronic Acid (HA) 100 milligrams

    They are available in market in combination or separate tablet for each. One such tablet I know that has all the supplements in right quantity is "Doctor's Best Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM plus Hyaluronic Acid" It is a US health supplement available online through websites like ebay. Other tablets are also there.

    Based on my experience I may add that Hydrolyzed Collagen and other supplements are building blocks to CURE arthritis without side effects and it doesn't require surgery. Osteoarthritis is very painful and it breaks a person mentally especially in old age. Lets try to stop pain and bring happy smiles back for our parents.

    If you need further details please let me know. Hope you find it usable.

    Apart from above, I have seen from internet, that following other supplements have, in clinical trials, shown improvement in osteoarthritis:
    SAMe (S-adenosyl methionine) 600 milligrams.
    Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) 2000 milligrams.
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin E 1000 IU.
    Boron 6 milligrams.

    ReplyDelete